I’ll try to make this short and sweet, since it was the worst race ever.
What Went Wrong:
- I didn’t sleep worth a flip.
- I hadn’t trained well enough.
- My legs felt like cement and I had zero energy.
- It was about 60 degrees when we started (almost 80 when I finished) and I was used to training in the lower-ish 50’s.
What Went Okay:
- We were ahead of the 2:30 pace group for about the first 2 miles.
- We had a lot of fun making fun of ourselves and calling one guy we kept leap frogging, “sexy legs.” It was hilarious since he was probably in his 40s and had the hairiest legs ever. I dunno, we were delirious. LOL
- My family and my friend’s family were there to yell at us. I swear, my dad yelled at me and told me to run so many times. At one point, he even said “this is the last hill” in which I turned around and said “I call BS.” LOL
- We didn’t puke our guts up when we passed fresh road kill. Although, we gagged and gagged!
- My friend and I crossed the finish line together.
- My friend Naomi stopped, turned around, and ran back to get me at the finish line so that we could cross the finish line together. Ya’ll I cried. I did. My finish line photo will be awful. LOL But it was the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me in a race. She turned around and ran in with me, so that we finished together.
- I finally got to meet a blog friend – who I can now say is a real life friend! ha!
- The race volunteers that actually clapped or yelled for you. There were so many volunteers that just stood there and stared. Seriously, that doesn’t help!
I plan on posting pictures tomorrow! That’s the best part, right?
I realize that I did great by finishing and the more that I talk to my friends, the more I realize it wasn’t just me having a bad day! Almost all of my friends (with the exception of a few) had a horrible race day. People that normally finish at 2:30 or faster, finished 5 minutes before I did. So, I’m so glad it wasn’t just me! Makes this girl feel better! We all have horrible races every now and then – it makes us appreciate the good ones that much more!